The Student News Site of Lexington Traditional Magnet School

Cat's Post

• May 4The Cat's Post to introduce newly designed webpage.

• May 4The Cat's Post reach major milestone.

• May 4LTMS students push hard to complete another successful school year.

Kentucky Education Bill

Caelie Adams

A bill is in process that will allow the Kentucky Department of Education to get more involved with low achieving schools. This bill will affect public education which goes out to all schools in the state of Kentucky.

The bill was made by the Kentucky Legislature, concerning the achievement of public schools in Kentucky. The bill needs to be signed by the following people in order to take place: Senator Mike Wilson, Senator David P. Givens, Senator Danny Carroll, Senator C.B. Embry Jr., Senator Rick Girdler, Senator Stephen Meredith, Senator Robert Stivers II, Senator Damon Thayer, Senator Stephen West and Senator Max Wise.

The following changes will be made to the state assessment; amend KRS 158.6453 to restate the purposes and components of a balanced assessment program including both formative and summative assessments; eliminate the open-response questions requirement; require writing portfolios be maintained for each student in grade 5 to 12 but eliminate from the state assessment; limit rewrites of the writing portfolio; require an on-demand assessment of student writing one time within the elementary, middle and high school grades, respectively; require writing assessments consisting of multiple-choice items emphasizing mechanics and editing one time within the elementary, middle and high schools, respectively; require each school council to develop policies relating to the school’s writing program; eliminate practical living and vocational studies from the assessment program but require a program evaluation of practical living and career studies annually; eliminate arts and humanities student testing from the assessment program but require a program evaluation of arts and humanities annually; require that accelerated learning be provided any student whose scores on any assessment indicate skill deficiencies; require each school to devise an accelerated learning plan;  limit state core content testing to the last seven days of a local district’s school calendar and limit number of days of testing to no more than five during that period; provide that a local Board of Education may adopt the use of commercial assessments for making formative judgments.

These changed will take place in the upcoming year that the senate signs the bill. These changes will somehow affect all teachers and students throughout Kentucky.

“I think that these changes will have a negative impact on us students because they are giving us two extended responses and two short constructed responses,” said 7th grader Steven Smith.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/S015.htm